Wednesday 6 January 2010

righto,
this is my first post, so a quick intro.

I'm aiming to chart oh so slow progress with my project to build a modular 009 scale, narrow gauge model railway, of the former Bowaters paper mill railway in Sittingbourne, Kent, England. The line still partially exists under the preservational  efforts of the Sittingbourne & Kemsley Light Railway (SKLR). This line is famous for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it was the last working steam operated, narrow gauge railway in England.
My reasons for modelling it?
Well, I grew up in Kent, & it was the first narrow gauge steam railway I visited as a child in the early 80's. I eventually moved quite near to the line for a short period with my father in the late 80's. The line was beside the main route into the town center, & I always loved the atmosphere of walking beside the rickety old concrete viaduct to get to see my friends. 
this brings me along to another reason for modelling the line; The viaduct.
It was a very early application of concrete & so is of some historical importance. It cries out to be modelled. I'm really going to enjoy getting to grips with that on my first module.


No comments:

Post a Comment